Sabie Brewing Co

n 1880, Henry Thomas Glynn (1856-1928), known among his friends as H.T., bought the farm Grootvantijn from a P. de Villiers. The farm’s original name was ‘Sabi’ but was later changed to ‘Sabie’. The Sabie River flowed through the farm and the name Sabi (or Sabie) could be a derivation of the Shangaan word ‘uluSaba’, meaning fearful. The indigenous people feared the large river running through Grootvantijn!

In 1895, H.T. was entertaining friends on the banks of the Sabie River. They did target shooting at a nearby waterfall and bullets chipped a rock to reveal indications of gold. Diggers soon rushed to the area and during that same year the Sabie Village was established. During this time geologists and prospectors, who were hired by H.T. and his father, searched Grootvantijn for gold-bearing reefs.

Eventually, a gold reef was found. This reef produced the most gold in the district.

The Glynn House was built in 1921, possibly by H.T., as a local trading post.

Over the years, it has gone from trading post to gift shop to restaurant and stood vacant for many months before the building was renovated during 2014 with a state-of-the-art microbrewery, a kitchen and an 80-seater restaurant and pub.

The Sabie Brewing Company opened its doors on Friday 28 November 2014.

Inside the restaurant, guests are able to see the brewery through a large glass window. There are exposed roof trusses and a piece of the original wall built in 1921.

Call them at 013 764 1005
Email them on
Find them

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.